Sunday, February 21, 2010

Cupcakes anyone?

So I have been practicing making cupcakes for Erin's birthday, because I have never made them in my life. I have made muffins, but it's not quite the same. The first attempt was Lemon Cream Cupcakes. They were actually very good, and they did rise above the cups so that they would be cute. I frosted them with whipped cream, which actually looked pretty, amazingly, but that was too weak for frosting. I decided cream cheese frosting would be best. I've said it before and I'll say it again... If there is cream cheese in it, I'm there!
Today I tried Vanilla Pudding Poppy Seed cupcakes. I thought the pudding would make them moist and delicious, but it was quite sticky and chewy instead. Plus they were completely flat. So that one is a no-go. I also tried to make buttercream frosting from scratch. After that, it was time to admit that store bought frosting in a can was going to have to do. My buttercream tasted like butter and sugar, not in a good way. Plus, it was a major pain. So, there you have it. I still have a couple recipes to try out and see if they are good. I am planning to make a carrot cake for Erin, but Aunt Ashlee thinks that's cruel and unusual. I think she will like it, though, because she likes pumpkin bread with no chocolate chips and no frosting. What do you think?

5 comments:

Ashlee said...

Seriously. Who gives a 1 year old carrot cake for their birthday. L.A.M.E.

But good job on making all sorts of cupcakes. I can pick some up from the store if you want me to. :)

Karlee, Tyson, Erin and Rylee said...

ew. store bought cupcakes are gross.

Falling Foward with Grace said...

I think carrot cake would be original and yummy as long as you don't put raisins or nuts or any of the ga-ga-goup in it. Plus you are starting her new year sweet and kind of healthy.

Karlee, Tyson, Erin and Rylee said...

I agree! of course I wouldn't put any of that gross crap in it! Plus,babies are not supposed to have nuts. So there you go.

shy said...

give her whatever you think shed like best. Hows about a yummy choclate cake. Momms are great who give there kids choclate cake.